I cannot live here anymore

You may feel you can no longer live in your current home, but waiting times for alternative accommodation are long and demand is high. The good news is, we have many ways of helping you stay in your own home and be safe and secure.


This page provides advice about the responsibilities of you and your landlord. When starting a new tenancy, you should read through your tenancy agreement thoroughly and discuss any points of confusion with your landlord.

Tennant responsibilities include:
  • Paying your rent on time
  • Reporting any repairs that are needed to the landlord.
  • Allowing access for repairs and inspections.
  • Disposing of and storing any rubbish correctly.
  • Completing minor repairs such as changing lightbulbs and fuses.
  • Ending your tenancy correctly, including giving the correct amount of notice if you wish to end your tenancy.

Remember that you can be held accountable for the behaviour of anyone who visits the property. If your landlord receives complaints about antisocial behaviour in the property, they may take steps to evict you.

Landlord responsibilities include:
  • At the start of your tenancy your landlord must supply you with an EPC certificate, an Electrical Installation Report and a gas safety certificate (if applicable). If you are an existing tenant and were in occupation before 1 April 2021 then your landlord must supply you with an Electrical Installation Report. This is to ensure that the Electrical Installation in the property is safe.
  • If you have an assured short hold tenancy that started or was renewed on or after 1 October 2015, your landlord should also provide you with a copy of the How to rent guide.
  • If you are an assured shorthold tenant, your landlord must protect your deposit in a deposit protection scheme.
  • Your landlord must arrange a gas safety inspection every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Problems with your landlord or rented property
Nuisance neighbours can be difficult to deal with and we are all affected differently. To help identify the problems and severity, it’s helpful if you keep a log of the issues, recording time, frequency and length of issues as this will help officers decide on the next course of action.

The Borough works together with a range of agencies to create safer communities and tackle anti-social behaviour. If you are experiencing serious anti-social behaviour, contact:
  • 999, if it’s an emergency.
  • 101, if it’s not an emergency but needs police attention.
  • 0800 555 111 for Crimestoppers. You will not need to give them any personal information which will identify you.

You can report anti-social activity

Or you can call the Customer Service centre on 0300 303 8878

If you’re a leaseholder or tenant of a housing association, and you are experiencing neighbour nuisance, contact your landlord in the first instance.
We do not have many adapted homes in the borough, so you might want to consider what adaptations you could make in your current home. By applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) it may mean that you can stay in your own home.

These grants are administered by the Home Improvement Agency who may be able to provide help if you’re finding it difficult to:
  • get in and out of the bath. We may be able to help you replace your bath with a level access shower.
  • go up and down the stairs. We may be able to install a stair lift or through-floor-lift.
  • get in and out of your property. We may be able to help you with low threshold doors, steps, ramping and handrails or external step lift.
  • cook or prepare meals. We may be able to help you by adapting or replacing your kitchen to make it more accessible.

You will need to get your landlord’s permission to adapt the property.

To find out what other assistance is available contact Adult Care who will assess your needs and advise you what options are available.
Domestic abuse is not just physical violence. It happens where a family member, partner or ex-partner (including same-sex partner) controls you through things like bullying, verbal abuse, sexual violence, not letting you have any money, or keeping you isolated by stopping you seeing your friends or family.

If you’re experiencing domestic abuse, there’s a range of support available to help you and if you need emergency accommodation you should contact the Homeless Team or the Housing Solutions team as soon as possible.


  • Emergency Accommodation

    If you’re experiencing domestic abuse and you want a place in a refuge, call the National Domestic Violence Helpline. A refuge is an emergency safe house for women and children, where you can get support until something longer term can be sorted out. You will probably be offered a place in a refuge immediately, but the refuge is likely to be away from your local area. There are a small number of refuge places for men. Call the Men’s Advice Line.

  • Helplines you can get confidential advice from:
    • National Domestic Violence (NDV) 24 hour Helpline: 0808 2000 247
    • Men’s Advice Line: 0808 801 0327
    • National lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans helpline (GALOP): 0800 999 5428I


  • If your personal safety is threatened, you should call the police on 999.
    • When you cannot talk, dial 999 then press 55 when prompted. This is called the Silent Solution system.
    • For non-emergency police assistance, dial 101 for the Greater Manchester Police Switchboard (24 hour service) email rochdale@victimsupport.org.uk.
    • For more localised help, see Who can help with domestic abuse?


  • Other options to Refuge
    • Staying Put.
      If you cannot or do not want to leave your home and are at continued risk of abuse, Rochdale Victim Support may be able to support you.
    • Make Your Home Safer.
      As well as staying in your home we can also support you with improving your safety at home. Email Saferhomesscheme@Rochdale.gov.uk
    • Get the Home in Your Name.
      In some situations the courts will transfer the home into your name, even if your partner is currently the sole owner or tenant. A family law solicitor can advise you on this. Call the Civil Legal Advice helpline on 0345 345 4 345 to find out if you qualify for legal aid.
There’s lots of help and support out there, including help with your rent.

Your landlord can also help, so do not be afraid to ask. They’d rather help you before things get out of hand.

We understand that some residents have difficulty affording the rent and other day to day living costs and how these have an impact on their health and well being. If you’re experiencing difficulty with rent, fuel costs or providing food for you and your family, contact the Housing Solutions Team for a confidential chat to see how we can help. Do not suffer in silence.

Further help is available for:
Many of us feel worried or stressed about life and you might feel a move would help your mental health. It’s important to ask why? Sometimes having some support or help to manage any problems you may be experiencing can make a world of difference and can mean that you get to stay in your home.

Here's a list of groups and organisations offering mental health support to adults, children and parents.

Make sure you check each organisations' website for the most up to date information:
  • Every Mind Matters. Get ideas and advice for improving your mood at home.
  • Rochdale and District Mind. Over the phone help and online support groups for all adults.
  • Thinking Ahead. Access online or over the phone therapy to help you with any mental health difficulties.
  • Alzheimer's Society. Provides information, support and advice on coronavirus for adults with dementia. In particular, they try to help if dementia makes it difficult for you or your loved one to follow NHS or government advice.
  • Shout. Anyone 16 years or older who's experiencing mental health challenges can access a free text message helpline. You can send a text message any time of day or night wherever you are. Every conversation is with a person.
  • Public Health England. Guidance on how to look after your feelings and your body in self-isolation.
  • OCD-UK. Advice and coronavirus survival tips for adults with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).